- ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2–2½ pounds short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ pound onions, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- ½ pound new red potatoes, skin on, cut into 1- to 1½-inch cubes
- ¼ pound turnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- ½ cup beef stock
- Mix together flour, salt, and pepper and then coat short ribs with this mixture. Use Cuisinart® 12-inch skillet to heat oil over medium heat and then add ribs to the pan and let cook until brown. Remove these from pan and transfer to plate to let cool slightly.
- Remove excess fat from the pan, add the onions and let cook for 1 minute. Transfer these to another bowl and mix with carrots, potatoes, and turnips.
- Coat ribs with horseradish and then put in ceramic pot of Cuisinart® SlowCooker. Surround and cover short ribs with onions, carrots, potatoes, and turnips and then pour in the beef stock.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and turn unit on. Set to cook on low for 10 hours (it will turn off automatically on its own once set). Strain pan juices before serving to remove excess fat.