Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Remove the roast from its packaging and place it in a sturdy roasting pan.
Rub the roast lightly with the oil. Try not to get any oil in the bottom of the roasting pan.
Rub the roast with enough salt and pepper to lightly season it.
Place the roasting pan in the oven.
After 15-20 minutes, turn the heat down to 325 degrees F.
Test for doneness using an instant-read thermometer (about $5 at most grocery stores). For rare meat, remove the roast when the internal temperature reads 130-135 degrees F. For medium rare, remove at 140-145 degrees F. And for medium, remove at 155 degrees F or above. A large rib roast takes 2-4 hours to cook.
Let the roast beef rest at room temperature, without carving or cutting into it, for 20-30 minutes.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades